Saturday, April 17, 2010

Power, uninterrupted


A couple of days with the broadband connection were enough to convince me I need an UPS. The backup power takes about 30-60 seconds to kick in and once the outage is over, there's another power cut when the compound is reconnected to the main power grid.

There were 3 outages during a lengthy meeting I took part in remotely on Friday. That meant that I had to drop out 6 times, wait for the router to come back online, reconnect the VPN and so on. Really annoying. Let's see if this setup works better.

It just occurred to me that people are forced to use a lot more power here because the network is so unstable and unreliable. In the western world there is concern over standby power with home electronics, but here all appliances of any value are protected with power regulators or UPSs out of necessity that consume at least 10x more juice. Not very green...

1 comment:

Vesku said...

It freaking works! Since I plugged this in there's been two outages already - both without any breaks in Internet access. Yippee!