Monday, August 2, 2010

Water + sand = art


Here's a couple of beach snaps from our recent visit to Khao Lak. Tidal waves make interesting things happen to the sandy surface. Just chilling out on the beach away from the office gets at least me into the right head space to notice these things. Good thing I was carrying a camera.

Taking more and more of these kinds of pseudo-artsy snaps got me all geared up to buy a DSLR. Then last Friday I figured out that the longer I am without one in this part of the world where every day something special seems to be on display, the less value one will eventually have when finally end up buying one. So now I'm anxiously waiting for a courier to show up with my 550D with 17-55mm optics so I can  spend the evening pressing all the buttons to see what they do. I bought one from Indian eBay, which weirdly feels less risky than getting one from a camera shop on the street. Somehow an online shop feels more solid in this place than one made or bricks and mortar.

This wouldn't really be me if I didn't research this online first. At length. I want to do video too so the options were luckily a bit limited, but there aren't many reviews on the net about either of the two products I haven't read before making the purchase decision (and re-read since).

Which brings me back to the topic of art and photography. Being and engineer the whole thing turned all techie as soon as I really got going, which I guess is OK for an engineer. I think despite lugging much more gear I'll be stuck with the pseudo-artsy genre. At least there's going to be all those buttons to keep me occupied.

No comments: